What is the University's Mission?
San Francisco State University educates and equips students to thrive in a global society. We deliver academic excellence by pursuing knowledge, inspiring creativity, supporting our diverse community and advancing social justice and positive change in the world.
What is a Strategic Plan?
The University Strategic Plan articulates in one place the mission, vision and values of San Francisco State and establishes a set of six priorities guiding day-to-day decision making and long-term design. Based on a collaborative endeavor from the start, the Strategic Plan strives to provide a solid anchor and tools for flexible adaption; to remind us who we are as we take charge of who we become.
Strategic Planning Process
Thousands of SF State faculty, staff, students, administrators, alumni and community members participated in the strategic planning process by taking part in workshops, focus groups and surveys or submitting feedback online. This participation and input informed the work of the Strategic Planning Committee in the creation of our Strategic Plan, which identified the mission, vision and values which will guide our implementation planning in the next year and our work over the next several years to address the six strategic priorities.
Strategic Planning Approach
Our goal throughout this process was to develop a strategic plan that reflects the perspectives from everyone who has an important stake in the university – including our students, faculty, staff, alumni, and other key community members. To accomplish this, we created numerous opportunities for deep listening and inclusive engagement throughout the process. We also reviewed already-existing data, qualitative and quantitative, including, but not limited to, existing survey data, the Academic Master Plan, the Strategic Enrollment Management Plan, the Strategic Marketing Plan and the WASC self-study. You can still provide input through our Opportunities for Involvement section which will be shared with coordinating committees and work groups.
We are excited to embark on the next phase: creating cross cabinet coordinating committees who will examine the strategic priority areas, develop metrics for implementation, and prioritizing action items for the deepest impact.
Strategic Planning Timeline
Preparation and Planning
September - October 2021
- Form the Strategic Planning Committee
- Gather essential background context and internal/external data
- Conduct preliminary background interviews to get perspectives on current state and input on the process
- Clarify process and outcomes
Engagement, Info. Gathering and Analysis
November 2021 - March 2022
- Strategic Planning Committee reviews and refines engagement plan
- Gather input from key campus stakeholders – including students, faculty, staff, alumni, and other key community members via workshops, focus groups, surveys and web-based comment box
Develop and Finalize the Plan
Spring - Summer 2022
- The Strategic Planning Committee develops the strategic plan
- Host follow-up sessions with campus stakeholders to review and vet the draft plan
- Finalize the plan
Begins Fall 2022
- Present final plan to all key stakeholder groups
- Ensure the governance and organizational structures and processes are in place for effective plan implementation
- Create working groups to implement the plan.