What is the University's Mission?
San Francisco State University educates and equips students to thrive in a global society. We deliver academic excellence by pursuing knowledge, inspiring creativity, supporting our diverse community and advancing social justice and positive change in the world.
What is a Strategic Plan?
The University Strategic Plan articulates in one place the mission, vision and values of San Francisco State and establishes a set of six priorities guiding day-to-day decision making and long-term design. Based on a collaborative endeavor from the start, the Strategic Plan strives to provide a solid anchor and tools for flexible adaption; to remind us who we are as we take charge of who we become.
Strategic Planning Process
Thousands of SF State faculty, staff, students, administrators, alumni and community members participated in the strategic planning process by taking part in workshops, focus groups and surveys or submitting feedback online. This participation and input informed the work of the Strategic Planning Committee in the creation of our Strategic Plan, which identified the mission, vision and values which will guide our implementation planning in the next year and our work over the next several years to address the six strategic priorities.
Strategic Planning Approach
Our goal throughout this process was to develop a strategic plan that reflects the perspectives from everyone who has an important stake in the university – including our students, faculty, staff, alumni, and other key community members. To accomplish this, we created numerous opportunities for deep listening and inclusive engagement throughout the process. We also reviewed already-existing data, qualitative and quantitative, including, but not limited to, existing survey data, the Academic Master Plan, the Strategic Enrollment Management Plan, the Strategic Marketing Plan and the WASC self-study. You can still provide input through our Opportunities for Involvement section which will be shared with coordinating committees and work groups.
Strategic Planning Timeline
Strategic Plan: Process and Finalization (Complete)
Fall 2021- Summer 2022
- Convene the Strategic Planning Committee
- Conduct online survey, focus groups, and general feedback sessions with campus stakeholders
- Analyze results from 3000+ students, faculty, staff, alumni and administrator respondents
- Use results to develop, draft, and refine the strategic plan
Develop and Finalize Strategic Priority Metrics (Complete)
Fall 2022 - Spring 2023
- Convene Coordinating Committees to discuss Strategic Priority Areas
- Coordinating Committees meet, share ideas, gather feedback and propose draft metrics
- Metrics presented to campus community for feedback
- Strategic Planning committee reviews feedback and finalize metrics
Activity and Initiative Alignment: Year One (In progress)
Summer 2023 - Spring 2024
- Coordinating Committees gather and inspire activity to align with metrics
- Winter initial progress report to President's Cabinet
- Spring full progress report to Strategic Planning Committee
- First year final report to campus community
Looking Ahead: Establish Year Two Metrics and Activity
Summer 2024-Spring 2025
- Coordinating Committees develop propose continuing or adding metric activity for Year Two
- Stakeholders align activity with identified metrics
- Winter 2024 initial progress report to President's Cabinet
- Spring 2025 final progress report to Strategic Planning Committee
- Spring 2025 Year Two full report to campus community